Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Common misconceptions about me

Posting about my conversion has got me thinking about the common misconceptions about my life that people have commented on, and I thought I would share them with you.

  • That I have long hair because I am religious, I have in fact had long hair most of my life. And have recently decided to stop this cycle I have had where I let my hair grow long and I love it! Then something happens and I get frustrated and cut it. Then I spend the next 6 months hating it. I do like to have long hair because it makes me feel more feminine, and I do think that being proud of being a women please God, but I think women can still be feminine and proud to be the women God made them with short hair.
  • That I am a stay at home mom who sews, home schools, cooks from scratch, ect.. because of my faith. I did or wanted to do these things before I found my faith. I tell people I should have lived 85 years ago, because I would have been the perfect 30's housewife.
  • We home school for faith reasons, while this is a big reason not the only one. It was just a really nice perk, the main reason was because of educational and social reasons.
  • That I don't drink because of my faith, I don't drink because growing up I watched my alcoholic aunt and dad drink,and I still have to deal with my dad's drinking.
  • I only wear skirts because of my religion, this again is one of those things that I have always liked, and do because it makes me feel feminine. And I do wear pants from time to time.
Does anyone else have people make assumptions about you when they find out  about your faith? I try to use these times when people make comments to share my faith, but feel it gets old sometimes about things that I think are silly, like how long my hair is for example. I know some religions the women do not cut their hair. But if I feel it brings me closer to God to wear long hair, is it really a big deal to you? I do not say that everyone needs to do it, I simply say it is one of the many ways I try to remind myself to do as God wants. I am sure most of these people are not religious in any way. So I try to be patient when I give my answers. I guess I just need to vent a little, thanks for listening.

Preach the Gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - St. Francis of Assisi