Tuesday, June 29, 2010

planning

Well today is the day, I will start planning for the fall learning! I am always a little nervous because there is so much out there and soooo many choices. I never can make a decision, it seems like I am changing plans more then making them, hehe
But I think I have a good plan this year, vision books. We will be using vision books as our main learning and going from there. I picked up a couple of them at my local catholic book store, along with a teacher guide book. It has vocab, time lines, C.C.C. and Scripture connections, and more. So I think we will read the books out loud  over several weeks. And study the geography and time period of the saints life. If the saint lived in 1504 a.d. you could study things happening all around the world in 1504 a.d. You could study all the geographical places the saint went. You could use the vocab words as spelling words and use the C.C.C. and Scripture as handwriting practice. They also have topics for reports and discussions. So from one book as your core you can spin off into;
engish, handwriting, vocab, spelling
geography, history, 
Bible, C.C.C., church teachings
so all you are missing is science and math. Awesome!!, so I think we will each book read slowly and plan a lesson for each book that goes over about 4 weeks. We will have group time each morning doing things related to the book and then after lunch do individual math on Tuesday and Thursday and have science after lunch on Monday and Friday, Wednesday will be nothing after lunch to prepare for C.C.D. I figure if we read 2-3 chapters a week, that leaves plenty of time for other learning and spreads it out enough to not feel rushed. There are enough of these books that I think I could plan 2 or 3 years like this. I like this because it puts our Faith at the center of our learning, and our lives. And after all isn't that where it should be? 

Preach the Gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - St. Francis of Assisi